View Single Post
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 18:24   #30
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lami17 View Post
Hi, I have been showing some interest in this car but would really appreciate some advice on the vario drive. I have owned a number of 340's over the years but never a vario. I always do my own maintenance but what should I expect to cause problems with the vario and can you get parts from anywhere. How long do belts last etc. Any views on the vario would be appreciated. Are they really thirsty compared to the manual? Many thanks..
I found in service over the 20 years that the CVT was around that most belts needed changing around 30000 miles due to whine and deep cracks ( You are allowed cracks more than 30% through . )

there are probably 6 or 7 reasons why the transmission wouldnt change up properly if at all ie go into overdrive .
below 50 mpg it relied on the vacuum to draw the pulleys together and change up , after 50 mpg the cenrtifugal weights in the primary unit assisted , so even if the vacuum system was faulty it would cnage up over 50 mph .
The horrendous fuel consumption issues are either due to driving everywhere under 30 mph or the transmission not changing up into overdrive properly if at all due to one of the 6 or 7 faults . The B14 / CVT combination was great to drive and very nippy so if you drove it like that it would use more fuel .
It was as fast as a Vauxhall cavalier 1.8 injection from 0 - 80 mph ..

clutch adjustment was part of servicing and often neglected , so causing a premature end to the clutch . An easy job to replace though and put back 3mm of shims with a new volvo clutch as a starting point to getting the gap as small as possible without draging ..