Thread: S40 (New) Electrics : - Guide: Replacing the boot wiring harness
View Single Post
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 02:54   #50
tassaj
tassaj

Default Brilliant Description

Like so many, my daughter's 2007 S40 had problems with her unable to unlock the boot intermittently, as well as the annoying "Boot Lid Open" warning when she had the lights on. Due to the relatively high cost and delivery time to get a new loom from Europe (to Australia) I had a crack at repair. In short I was able to repair without removing the loom by unplugging the harness from the boot, popping several clips and then wrangling the boot end of the harness back through entrance hole. To access the wires, I cut the flexible piece of rubber away, carefully using a Stanley knife, thus exposing the broken wire. Only one wire was fully broken so I resoldered it and another almost broken and then sealed both of these with heat shrink. Finally I wrapped the entire loom with electrical tape. Once I set everything back in place, I taped the grommet ends to the newly wrapped loom. It all works swimmingly although I can see that the loom has bending tension when the lid closes. Hopefully it's good for another 15 years or so. Total time about 2 1/2 hours. Cheers.
tassaj is offline   Reply With Quote