View Single Post
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 21:26   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Generally speaking I switch off stop/start as soon as I set off as I find it annoying in heavy traffic.

However today I found it wasn't working when switched on.

Being a beehive full of knowledge of all things mechanical and electrical I instantly knew what it was - or rather didn't as I have no clue on these things...!!!

I switched it on and came to a stop again, and it did not work, so I went into the settings via My Car, went to the sub menu 'Drive' and noticed it said ''battery charging'' and something about ''stop/start will not work when the battery is charging''. I have never seen this before, but then again probably because the battery for the stop/start has never been flat, so obviously wouldn't show!!

So I figured I would post for anyone whose stop/start appears to not be working to have a look at this first.

So in conclusion its not faulty, its just that the seperate battery for the stop/start needed a charge - which is understandable really as the car has been stood for a couple of weeks

Regards
Actualy it is the MAIN battery which needs the charge . The stop/start only works when the Main battery is more than 80% charged . The secondary battery a small gell battery is usualy always full because it is so small it charges quicky .
The Main Battery on the stop/start is an AGM flat plate type and they seem more troublesome than the standard calcium silver one fitted to non stop/start cars . It should hold good charge for at least 3 months if all is ok . You MAY need a new main battery depending on the results of the test at your dealer.