View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2019, 10:49   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboymike View Post
Hi all, looking for some help with my V40 please

It seems to have been running ok until a few days ago, when the following happened:

- Started from cold (fine)
- Driven for maybe 3/4 mile and turned off (as part of a larger route before anyone wrongly pegs me as the "drive round the corner to the shop" type )
- Upon restarting I thought it had fired so released the key but it died
- It continued to turn over on the ignition key but wouldn't fire
- It did start a few times but the idle was very low, with the accelerator to the floor it wouldn't rev over 1500rpm or so
- I eventually managed to get it going and nursed it home - at constant light throttle vehicle speed would remain consistent for a while but would periodically bog down, then pick up again.
- The engine doesn't appear to be mis-firing or running rough, just running very sluggishly with very little power- it reached the heady heights of 15-20mph and refused to go any quicker..

A poke around when I got home revealed not a lot:
- Oil level OK, no signs of water
- Water level OK, no signs of oil
- Visible steam from exhaust but not an excessive amount IMO considering it was still cold
- Engine warning now light on
- Coolant temperature didn't go above about 1/4, with 1/2 being the norm when warm
- Reasonable smell of fuel at the exhaust

Additional info, FWIW:

One of / the ancillary belt slips sometimes for a short period when cold but there are no indicators that any important driven bits aren't working as they should (battery evidently has plenty of juice and it's never overheated so I guess the water pump is doing its job).

Upon turning the ignition key to position 2 prior to starting the throttle body(?) has always clicked repeatedly before starting, which I've read potentially implies an issue. Thinking about it I have experienced a slight but detectable loss of power of power / bogging down before, but nowhere near as bad as it is now; which renders the car un-driveable.

I'm wondering if it might be a fuelling issue caused by a failed throttle body (either the stepper motor that controls the butterfly, the throttle position sensor or perhaps accelerator position sensor) as I guess this would flag up a warning / fault code and I hear they're a bit squffy on these engines.

I'd like to have the plugs out for a look inside but a previous idiot I'd paid to service the car has evidently stripped out the thread in the cam cover for the plastic engine cover so I can't get access (yet another job to do - any pointers on removal much appreciated!) - as a result the plugs are probably overdue a change but tbh I doubt this is relevant unless maybe excessive gaps have knackered the coil pack..

I'm skint and miles away from the only garage I trust so ideally I'd like to sort this issue myself if I can. I'm guessing from the engine warning light that I should be able to get a fault code, although I'm struggling to get my head around this having trawled google..

Will my model display DTC codes on the dash if I use the correct procedure? I'm not sure if this applies to this particular age / type of car. Also, am I correct in thinking that I can use a generic OBDII fault code reader to interrogate the ECU, but that this will only give me basic codes and that I'll need a Volvo-specific reader to get more specific codes..?

Any help would me much appreciated - thanks
You will probably find the throttle butterfly spindle has seized , you can take it apart and free and lubricate it . you should be able to press it open by hand and it should spring back ...

You need to fit a new alternator belt and the other one whilst you are at it .. tightening it will probably cause it to snap as it will be worn excessively with the slipping ..