Thread: Black Ice Alert
View Single Post
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 19:45   #9
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
It's not just bridges in the mountains, around here in the leafy rolling countryside of Buckinghamshire and Bedfordshire there can be frost pockets, my regular route to work has one. I leave home with the temp showing a couple of degrees above zero and when I arrive at work it's about the same but the country lane halfway there can be a couple of degrees below.
Black ice is an extra problem because it is effectively invisible, the outside temperature showing on the dash is very handy at this time of year.
Exactly, David. That is the point that I was making. The only indication that you may have encountered it is that everything goes silent and you have effectively no control. It has happened to me twice and it is not pleasant.

The last time was on the M42. When I arrived at work, my boss said "I didn't expect to see you this morning, John.". When I asked why, he replied that the Police had closed the motorway because of the conditions - I must have come through moments before they did.

Good point about the outside temperature gauge. While I had one on my 245GLT, none of our 7 or 9 series cars did, but the V70 and both Saabs do.

Regards, John.

P.S. The A50 eventually reopened around teatime on Thursday. Apparently, a woman pedestrian died and the Police are looking into a parked Astra that they think may be connected. Did she break down and was looking for assistance? J.

Last edited by john.wigley; Nov 23rd, 2018 at 19:53. Reason: Add P.S.
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post: