View Single Post
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 17:05   #15
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

I think back to my first car.

It had three pedals, a gear lever, a handbrake, lights, a fuel gauge and three warning lights of igition, oil and main beam, wipers, a speedo). The de-luxe version had an engine temperature gauge! Did it need more than that? Nope. I took me everywhere... with few problems.

But in this world where car manufacturers try to make their car more whizzy then the opposition's, they find it necessary to add more (what Yorkshire people call "do nowts") fantastic things!

Why? I don't think it's to make life 'easier' for Mr Joe Public. It's to try to outdo the opposition and make their car seem better than everybody else's with their own fantastic gizmos.

I think it's made life worse! A brief flicker from a warning lamp, the heart goes into overdrive and the wallet is passed to a 'highly-trained genius' (?) with those magic words of: "Help yourself."

More seriously... cars are more reliable, economical etc. these days; but at a cost. A cost that the owner has to grin and bear while the manufacturers think of what other 'labour saving do-nowts' to include in their next generation (and the franchised dealers run their hands in glee).

That's the problem with being a grumpy ol' git. I just see the downside of everything

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post: