View Single Post
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 12:38   #21
Derek UK
VOC Member

The only "original" mirrors are the Volvo logo ones. Tex,Wingard, Stadium and numerous other UK brands were mostly fitted after they left the dealers. Problem with wing mirrors is that we've forgotten how to use them. Door mirrors are so universal, and mostly better, and have been with us for so long that it's hard to break the habit of looking there.
Mitch, pics of your wings in primer show the holes for the mirror screws still there. Did they get filled so that you could start from scratch? I have the GT type and they are, typically, forward of the wheel arch centre. There's a limit to how far back they can fitted before the screen pillar compromises the driver's side view. I'm about 5' 10" and the view in the nearside one is poor, even with the seats at max height and good seat webbing. If I had no outside mirrors at all I would try the door mirrors that have the arm pivot at the front. They used to be difficult/impossible to buy new but are now repro'd. With these you can reverse the quarter light for free A/C. You can't do this with the rear arm type fitted in the same position. However, before drilling the doors I'd see how I got on with the hot rod style "peep" mirrors with as big a mirror head as possible. Mirrors by the quarter lights do increase the wind noise in that area so good seals essential. Wind noise often decreases if you crack the quarterlight a bit as it helps to flow the air round the corner better.
I also have a tinted add on panoramic mirror that clips over the standard inside mirror which gives, in the estate, a full view of the rear window along with about half of each of the rear side windows. I've had one for years, the standard Volvo interior mirror is too small IMO, and recently found another one the same as my original one. Still available if you look around.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: