Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 12:15   #7
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Hello Othen. I like your car. I think that one has lots going for it.

A few ittle practical suggestions.

Cam Belt. It should be changed more often than the sticker suggests. Someone will remember the detail. But it is distance or time whichever comes first. If in doubt, change it. The genuine Volvo belt is cheap by the way.

Headlights. The reflectors will corrode. Begin to prepare now by, spraying the headlight securing nuts with a good penetrating oil at regular intervals. Plus Gas. Three nuts per headlight. Those nuts corrode adn if not kept lubricated then when you come to undo them the studs which are hex head screws, get ina tix wox needing lots of work to sort out. If you keep those nuts sprayed with Plus Gs at regulare intervals, they should undo easy as pie when you need to undo them.

Bonnet hinges. Lubricate them. I use white grease. Three or four points per hinge. If they are not lubricated. Eventually one will bend. Oops...

Alternator belt adjusters. Does your engine have long screwed adjusters for the belts? You guessed it. Lubricate those.

And beware the little heater hoses from near the back of the engine to the bulkhead. Usually neglected. If in doubt well worth replacing.

Enjoy !!!

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Feb 6th, 2020 at 12:17.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post: