Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 13:15   #8
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Hello Othen. I like your car. I think that one has lots going for it.

A few ittle practical suggestions.

Cam Belt. It should be changed more often than the sticker suggests. Someone will remember the detail. But it is distance or time whichever comes first. If in doubt, change it. The genuine Volvo belt is cheap by the way.

Headlights. The reflectors will corrode. Begin to prepare now by, spraying the headlight securing nuts with a good penetrating oil at regular intervals. Plus Gas. Three nuts per headlight. Those nuts corrode adn if not kept lubricated then when you come to undo them the studs which are hex head screws, get ina tix wox needing lots of work to sort out. If you keep those nuts sprayed with Plus Gs at regulare intervals, they should undo easy as pie when you need to undo them.

Bonnet hinges. Lubricate them. I use white grease. Three or four points per hinge. If they are not lubricated. Eventually one will bend. Oops...

Alternator belt adjusters. Does your engine have long screwed adjusters for the belts? You guessed it. Lubricate those.

And beware the little heater hoses from near the back of the engine to the bulkhead. Usually neglected. If in doubt well worth replacing.

Enjoy !!!

Super... more good advice.

The cam belt: I agree, the belt has only done 6,000 miles, but that has taken 4 years. It is a simple enough job and as you say, the Volvo belts are cheap. I'll probably do it during next winter's maintenance period.

I've spent a few hours going over the car today, lots of lubrication: WD40, penetrating oil, silicone grease and Vasaline in different places. I had not thought of the bonnet hinges though, thank you.

I've got the interior light working - 5 minutes with a screwdriver and a tin of electrical contact cleaner and all 4 work. As an added bonus the beeper relay now tells me when I've left a door open (I think I'll be removing that relay from somewhere under the instruments though - it is a bit annoying).

I topped up the fluids, then Bob (the dog) and I went out for a spin - everything seems to be bedding in quite nicely. I just have the rev counter to fix (superfluous on a car like this, but it will just irritate me if I don't mend it) and the switched/permanent wiring mix up to sort out for the fan and the radio. I'd also quite like to get the windscreen surround re-fitted.

I'm planning to run the car pretty well as it is, but probably return it back to standard as far as makes sense. I took the silly spoiler off the roof this morn, it has left a mess of glue and double sided tape to clean up. I'll get all the fluids changed this week when the filters arrive.

I like the car as it is, once it is tidied up I think it will make an interesting and durable historic car that my son and I (and Bob the dog) can enjoy for years. I don't think it is going to cost much to run, the insurance only cost £85 including the RAC breakdown cover and next year it will be tax free.

I'm really pleased with my new Volvo - and it is quite nostalgic driving a 240 again after 30 years.

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: