Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 09:51   #2088
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
A little bit cheeky i know Alan but i know Loki the GLT follows this thread and i promised him some time ago i'd keep an eye out for a Slant Four for him. During my late night stumbling around ebay last night as discussed in another thread, i found this one he may be interested in :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-...O/254783292103

Probably one of the best and certainly the nicest colour scheme for that model, i'd question the originality though as i'm sure the GLS had the twin-carb set-up and that one is a single carb. Possibly converted to get rid of the auto-choke that some of them had and/or economy reasons although the one i had (basic VX 2300) actually improved the economy when i fitted twin-carbs to it as well as unleashing an extra 30bhp.

That said, if i win the lottery tonight, i'll be throwing a stupid bid in!

Apologies for being cheeky and posting this in your RB thread but i hope you understand!
I know about this car; its original number plate, which was a "T-suffix" is on retention AFAIK, and it was sold into the trade by the Club member who holds the original number plates. It has the correct carb set-up as only the VX4/90 and VX490 had twin carbs. To get another 30bhp from a 2300 you'd have needed a Blydenstein head as the stock units put out 108 in single carb form and 116 in twin-carb form, although I suspect the horses were Shetland ponies rather than Clydesdales. Apart from the asking price, the fact that it's an auto puts me off.
Getting back to Volvos - this is the Volvoforums.org after all - I really like the Pholus/244 combination on the Royal Barge. The wheels look like an updated "Corona" that early 240GLEs had.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post: