View Single Post
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 13:47   #3
AndrewBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
Hi all,

I’m helping a friend with a 1978 244, fitted with a B21a engine.

Is there any advantage to a Pierburg CD175 over a Stromberg CD175, or vis versa? The car currently has a Pierburg fitted and it runs poorly- for clarity, I don’t think this is a fault of the carb, rather years of poor maintenance.

We’re going to rebuild the carb as a starting point- but he also has a complete Stromberg as a spare.

Given that the rebuild kit is the same and we’re in exactly the same starting point with either, is there any reason to pick one over the other?

Cheers
The Stromberg 175CD carb is said to be temperamental to set up and tune,
its not true people just dont know how to do it correctly

The Stromberg carb was back in the early '70s considered a performance upgrade over SU carbs the good thing is they are easy to set up right
with all the parts available new from Burlin fuel systems,

My advice is to only use a genuine Stromberg Diaphragm
the cheap ones from ebay etc are not the correct type of rubber and certainly not the correct stiffness or flexibility

Be sure to replace the float bowl gasket every time you remove it and Always set the float height correctly, you will get fuel blow back an spitting if its not right, flooding and over rich mixture etc

The Pierberg carb is German made and although very similar in operation its just difficult to get parts cheaply and is more difficult to service

Go for the Stromberg 175 CD2 type its the closest to fuel injection a carburettor gets.

Last edited by AndrewBrown; Jun 13th, 2021 at 13:50.
AndrewBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewBrown For This Useful Post: