View Single Post
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 10:17   #6
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
I had thought they had all been changed to the last one as they were changed in service or on recall.

This is the volvo saga of 3 goes and still not right. Original design found to fail, redesigned, new design found to fail redesigned again. Still a sort of job.

My book tells me auxiliary belt every 5 years or 54,000 miles. My car doesnot do the 54k in 5 years so the belt AND tensioner gets changed on time.

Given the possible damage to the engine in the event of failier it's not something I neglect or would run to the last possible moment. The tensioner is the achillies heel of the engine and only the 3rd attempt at designing a serviceable item by volvo should be used to replace whatever is there as the others have proven unreliable, no matter the age or number of the engine.

Paul.
Bilbo was spot on re the log book. 30yrs ago I would have remembered that.
Take your point re keeping the tensioner/belt serviced.
2 points:-
Have now read Volvo had a perfectly good tensioner system on the 850, but tried (Ford???) to redesign it - and failed.
Why does VIDA give conflicting advice; a service interval but then say to the effect you can leave it for 10 years.

While reading up on this, I read the "belts" incl cam belt are not part of the "normal" service schedule and have to be requested by the customer as "extras", and paid for as such..

What ever next, "Thank you Mr Smith your agreed service plan price comes to one pound, the extras incl filters, oil, labour and VAT is £500????

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote