View Single Post
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 20:01   #16
gmonag
Premier Member

Quote:
Do as you please, call it BS, call it what you want... Its your car & its your decision what you decide to do with it
The gearbox flush procedure, which is often referred to as "The Gibbons Method"(because it was posted here a few years ago by a poster called gibbons), is actually the same procedure as described in VIDA. The sump is drained (2.2lt), then the oil return from the oil cooler is disconnected so that the old oil is diverted to a bucket and fresh oil is added to the return line to replace that just drained. The engine is started, the oil starts to circulate, old oil goes in the bucket, fresh oil goes down the return line to replace it.

This circulation goes on continuously whenever the engine is running. Intercepting the old oil and replacing it with fresh oil will not stir up crud any more than it does all the time. In fact, diverting the old oil will remove any crud with it (which is the whole point).

Draining the gearbox sump will deliver 2.2lt of old oil. The gearbox holds over 7lt. If you drain and refill, the new oil will mix with the old and the second drain and refill will change another 2lt of the mixed (diluted) oil. You will have to repeat the procedure a dozen times to change the oil completely. The flush takes about 10 minutes and you only need to do it once.

You are correct. It is my car and I will do as I want, but please stop spreading this old-wives tale about flushing stirring up crud in the gearbox.