View Single Post
Old Oct 17th, 2023, 13:08   #14
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Padrino View Post
Hi Luxobarge, it is shame I can't read any fault codes with my OBDII reader. Can you recommend one that won't cost hundreds of pounds that can read codes off a 1998 vintage?
OK, so I'm not an expert on diagnostic systems for these cars, but I believe I'm right in saying that an ELM327 dongle (plugs into the OBDII socket and communicates via bluetooth) can be had for around £20, and then you'll need the Volvo 850 OBDII app for android phone - a couple of £ I believe.

Now this is interesting, as I too have a persistent intermittent ABS light, and having done all the obvious things I'm taking my own advice and finally getting the above dongle so that I can read the ABS codes too. Mine's a 1997 V70 T5, and like you I've found that my generic OBDII scanner is fine for engine codes, and possibly gearbox although I've never tried, but won't do ABS, SRS etc.

I've ordered it, and it should be with me in a couple of days, so when it arrives I'll have a go at downloading the app onto my phone and see if I can get it to work. Member 4x4 on here seems to know a lot about the various diagnostic tools available, so I'm following his guidance here, given to another member on another thread, where (with reference to the dongle) he says: This one will work https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125378422912

I wanted to follow his recommendation as apparently not all ELM327 dongles are the same, some work better than others it seems.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Last edited by Luxobarge; Oct 17th, 2023 at 13:15.
Luxobarge is offline   Reply With Quote