View Single Post
Old Jul 25th, 2020, 21:03   #7
ladytmoney

Exclamation Brake help on 1991 Volvo 240

Hi there! I am new here. Bought my first car ever a few days ago, at age 47! (Been living in NYC for 30 years). Got a used 1991 Volvo 240 and had it at the mechanic's to bring it up to speed to be road ready. I just need safe and cheap wheels, I had no idea what a great car and legacy I have stepped into. About 15 minutes after taking it fully fixed (new shocks, new coils, new exhaust system, fixed idle air control valve and a ton of wiring issues), I went to step on the brakes and the pedal went straight to the floor! I kept pumping and pumping it in disbelief as I grew closer and closer to the car in front of me, and finally the brakes starting gaining some resistance, and then worked. Needless to say, I went straight back to mechanic's. He double checked everything and it all looked good and said maybe it was air in the brake line and not to worry. Then, 5 days later, took it on a longer drive (4-5 hours of driving in total, but broken up), and then the brakes failed me in rush hour NYC highway traffic aka VERY dangerous. It's a miracle no one was killed. The brakes did NOT come right back, but did about 20+ minutes of sitting on the FDR highway with hazards on. I was told by the mechanic that I should replace the brake master cylinder with the resevoir that has the sensor for the brake fluid. Can you please advise? Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsing View Post
Hi,

I had this problem for years with my 240 and it turned out to be the anti-squeal shims. Take them out, you don't need them...

Thanks
ladytmoney is offline   Reply With Quote