View Single Post
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 09:41   #5
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post
Great how-to, Gatos - as always.

When my heater resistor went a couple of years ago, the whole ECC went haywire, randomly blowing hot, blowing cold, the blower switching on and off, air con jamming on, jamming off, stopping responding to the controls, the works. Rather than buy a complete new unit from Volvo, I bought just the transistor (the 'flying saucer' bolted to the heatsink) from Maplins, and replaced the original with the Maplin part. All of this was following a step-by-step guide that I found here on the Forum (I don't have the link handy, but I'm sure it's still available).

I notice in your introduction that the symptom you describe is solely the heater blowing air at full blast. Mine has just developed a new trick: sometimes it does exactly this. Usually, if I park up, when I start up again, everything works correctly again.

Would you say it's likely to be the resistor again?
Resistor most probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haizum74 View Post
If its only blowing on 6 then its very likely to be the resistor. Nice write up gato. I see there was some bending of frame too. Was that before finding the gap trick?
The bending was already there from before..... I did this on the car I will be breaking, not my good cars....

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post: