View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2015, 07:21   #6
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
Currently, and for example only one engine in the V70 range meets the new Euro 6 regulations (it is the D4).

The D4 is a new engine and will replace all engines in the Volvo range - in the new XC90 for example.
A bit confusing/misleading what you write and not actually correct.

The D4 is just a power descriptor. I think it needs to be made clear to avoid confusion, the new engine is the 1969cc VEA engine (available in D2,D3,D4,D5 power in the majority of models) which is Euro 6, whereas the older D4 (2400cc) isn’t Euro 6. Yes the new 1969cc VEA engine is going in the XC90 in various states of tune, with the first ones being D5 1969cc 225bhp.

Quote:
The rest of the V70 range (D2, D3 & D5) are only Euro 5 compliant
According to Volvo the V70 D3 1969cc is indeed listed as being Euro 6 compliant (as it is the new engine) as is the old D5 (2400cc) in all other models, including XC70 and now being 220bhp. There currently isn't a new D2 designation (V70), although maybe there will be? The older D4 AWD XC70 (2400cc) engine is still Euro 5. If they have made the old D5 (2400cc) Euro 6, wonder why they didn’t with the old D4 (2400cc) as it is fundamentally the same engine. Suppose because the old D4 is an 'also ran engine' sales wise now,whereas the old D5 still has a bit of life left?

All new Volvo models will be the 1969cc in various states of tune, bar the autos in some models (s/v60/v40) being sub 1500cc.

Don't Volvo make things difficult to fathom eh?...!!

Regards

Ps:- ref the below:
Quote:
N.B pity about the two threads on the same subject!
Not really two threads,as I am asking a different question AdBlue specific, and as you raised the point about AdBlue elsewhere, which I found interesting, rather than hijack/digress on that thread,I started this one, because I wanted to know more specifically about whether Volvo usedAdBlue, rather than the 'fate of diesel engines' per se as per the other thread.

Regards

Last edited by volvorocks; May 2nd, 2015 at 07:34.
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote