View Single Post
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 09:15   #9
grahamwatson

Well, I found it. Up on the back of the oil temp gauge. right behind that support bracket which comes down from the dash top to the steering column. Definitely afterthought engineering. Probably seemed like a good idea when the dash was out on a bench.

I removed the steering wheel so that I had better access to the footwell. I probably should have removed the driver's seat too, but instead decided to break my back over the hand break lever and footplate. It was one of those jobs where (at my age) you pull every muscle in your body and get cramp in your fingers. Lots of little knurled screws at the limit of reachability. And wires that come off terminals before you have a chance to see what goes where. The wiring diagram colour code may be my friend but I didn't see a reference to DDG (dirty dusty grey).

Anyway my top tip is to access that top central gauge by removing one of the others first. I went for the water temp gauge which is the small one below it, but I should have bitten the big bullet and removed the rev counter.

In fact I ended up removing all of the gauges as the job developed (as they always do) into something else, and I decided to take the opportunity to refurb the bezels and clean up the dials.

Its all back together now, looking much nicer, and with everything working well (so far as I can tell - steering wheel is still off and I haven't run it long enough for the oil temp gauge to lift off its stop, but the life in the water temp and fuel tank dials leave me optimistic!).

Thanks guys!
grahamwatson is offline   Reply With Quote