Thread: Brakes: - Brake replacement
View Single Post
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 11:39   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by custardpie View Post
1. Handbrake just doesn’t work at all. The cable has been adjusted to no effect, so looking to strip down the back disks check the pads and fit adjusters. The disks themselves appear ok from the outside but unknown what the hubs are like. So question one, plan to replace disks, pads and shoes or just shoes and add adjuster? I realise no-one has a crystal ball and certainly don’t know how my car has been driven for past 8 years but is it common to have issues with the disks from the handbrake shoes?
Very common.
The primary issue is that if the handbrake is not used often, the drums rust up so much that the brake shoes no longer can grip the drum.
You will see this when you remove the discs (the drum is part of the disc)
If not rusted too bad, you can try cleaning with a wirebrush on a drill.
But if rusted badly, as mine were, then replacement of the disc is the only solution.
And generally, if fitting new discs, you fit new pads (foot brake) and shoes (hand brake) and of course the mounting hardware, all at the same time.
And then you can fit the adjusters.

But before you throw these parts at it, remove a wheel and remove the disc and inspect the drum. If you have anything like a seized brake cable, then you need more parts.

Quote:
2. Front disks and pads were changed when I had the car, but the is now a bad vibration from the front when I brake. I’m thinking that for the MOT that will need sorting so wondering if I have a warped disk? I have stripped down the front brakes and everything seems fine. So swap disks and pads?
I would tend to agree with your diagnosis and solution.

Quote:
3. Have the issue with the alarm going off for no reason. Doing my research this seems likely due to age of the car the leaking battery pack in the siren. I pullled the fuse for the siren to stop annoying my neighbors and now have the alarm fault alert on the dash. So while stripping down the breaks time to sort. I have seen the option to replace the battery pack, but my concern is that if I strip it down and can’t repair it then I need to get a replacement. A 2nd hand one may develop the same fault in 6 months so do I fork out £170 for a new replacement (shudder) or does anyone know where I can get a modified pre used one?
Don't assume the battery pack first off.
(In fact. never make assumptions with these cars - always confirm your theory BEFORE buying new parts)
The most common reason for false alarms is the front bonnet switch becoming dirty and corroded and making bad contact.
Check how well the bonnet switch works first (on front left hand bonnet latch).
You can unplug the connector and then measure the switch contacts with a multi-meter easily. Anything showing any sign of a bad connection, and you should replace the latch+switch assembly with a new one.

And you can also monitor the alarm in VIDA and read out the last reason for alarm activation.
If VIDA shows bonnet switch, then you have a positive confirmation of the root cause of the issue.

Otherwise, if bonnet switch is OK, and VIDA shows no reason for last activation, then you can assume battery leakage inside the siren.
You then need to remove the siren and disassemble it to determine if the siren can be repaired, or must be replaced.
You cannot avoid visual confirmation here.
Don't buy a battery without having seen the insides of your siren.
The siren could possibly be beyond repair.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post: