View Single Post
Old Oct 1st, 2014, 18:21   #10
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

[QUOTE=360beast;1751230]Blasphemy, saloons are my favourite

I was told they have less road noise than the hatchbacks and stiffer rear suspension, besides they look awesome... /QUOTE]

I'm inclined to agree, 360beast.

Back in the day, I ran a 'D' 360GL Hatch, doing 40K as a business tool in two years. I replaced this with an 'F' 340GLE 1.7 Saloon, again doing 40K in two years. Don't know about the suspension, but the saloon was much quieter, as you say, and generally felt more refined than the hatch. It was also much more economical, averaging 39 MPG to the 360's 32 overall.

We did road test a 1.4 Auto, but found it underpowered and couldn't get on with the CVT. I think my ideal 300 series car would have been a 360GLE Saloon with a conventional automatic 'box, had Volvo but produced such a variant. I'd have one today if they existed!

I think that in the day, if you wanted a 'hatch' you bought a 'hatch', and vice versa. Today, I think that decision is largely irrelevant. Any surviving 300 series will be bought primarily for pleasure purposes. The important thing surely is that any such car, regardless of 'spec' is preserved to be enjoyed for as long as possible.

Kind regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Oct 1st, 2014 at 18:24. Reason: Remembered all 340 CVT's were hatches ...
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post: