Thread: Radio questions
View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2019, 20:22   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn960 View Post
A CD changer can perfectly be controlled by an analog signal. I am pretty sure the wire is for the changer in the boot ;-)
I didn't say it couldn't. Even an analog signal that controls something is regarded as data though, not just a digital signal so the requirement for data connections within that cable still exist.

Something we definitely agree on now is that the cable is for A CD changer, the question still remains as to whether it's a Volvo CD changer or another one.
The car is 20+ years old, there's no guarantee the CD changer fitted was factory fitted or even dealer-fitted as an aftersales option/upgrade. It could be for a totally different brand and that means there's no guarantee the cable is compatible.
I also know of one car maker that fitted an upgrade head unit and CD changer instead of the normal one for a particular model. Fitting the normal one in resulted in no CD changer action, despite being a known good unit, tested on another vehicle with the "normal" set-up.
The problem was the cable - fitted the correct (different manufacturer) head unit and CD changer and bingo, it worked.

Both head units were branded with the car manufacturers name though, despite being different manufacturers in the first place.

The basic rule is - never assume!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote