View Single Post
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 11:10   #6
mrc1501
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnite View Post
I’m totally against this- all IMHO of course.

Apart from looking “wrong”, you will have changed the wheels from what the manufacturer intended - will you not have effectively broken the vehicles homologation and therefore have potentially invalidated your insurance?

It’s your choice, but surely warrants checking with your insurance company. If you have this in writing from them then that’s all that really matters, having said “I’ve checked with some blokes on an on-line forum” really won’t count for anything. The same goes for aftermarket wheels - although at least there you have the option of buying the correct offsets etc.

I think looking “wrong” is quite a bold statement and could start a thread all by itself 😱
Wheels, in my opinion, can make or ruin the look of the car. For me, if I want to consider a different wheel type than the one currently fitted to my car, then I always look at what different options are available to me, from the car or wheel manufacturer. I make a point of finding the car brochure for my model year, and look at the wheel options contained within.
I would never consider using spacers or spigots to retrofit a wheel that is not meant to be fitted to that particular type of car. The manufacturer has spent money and time to work out what is suitable, so who am I to ignore their expertise.
Different wheels can have both positive and negative effects on the cars handling and safety. Even putting the wrong tyre profile on a wheel can alter its handling.
As for insurance, I fitted Pegasus alloys to my V70R, from a younger model and a newer generation of car. Told the insurance company and because they were genuine manufacturer from a later model, all was fine.

My previous car. Happy days......
V70R 1997 Gone
V70 XC 2.4 T AWD 2002 Gone
2013 XC60 R design Lux Nav 2.4 D4 AWD Polestar optimised in Rebel Blue Gone
mrc1501 is offline   Reply With Quote