View Single Post
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 15:59   #194
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
At the age of 16 when i left school i went into Electrical & Electronic Engineering as i thought it was a fairly future-proof career path.
The first year of it was "off the job" broad-based training in an Engineering Training school so i have enough knowledge/skills to do almost anything.
Thats exactly how it was at RR in the '60s, 'L.S.'.

Thing is, our years in the School were longer than an entire modern apprenticeship! Yet we went on to do four more as Craft, Technician or Graduate Apprentices, depending on our performance in the School, before we were considered qualified. Even then, one normally worked with a skilled hand for a couple of years to gain experience and confidence on the job.

The training that you and I received all those years ago gave us the skills and confidence that have both stood the test of time and are still relevant today. The difference is that nowadays very few young people have the opportunity to gain them.

As modern technology, materials, methodology and so on change so rapidly and dramatically, I don't think that there can be such a thing as a 'future-proof' job today; however Jon's suggestion is a sensible one.

Regards, John.