View Single Post
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 20:29   #1
Jill Davis

Default Iced up Tailgate causing bumper damage

A couple of days ago I noticed a black mark about 4" long on the top of my bumper where the tailgate comes down and had rubbed it. On further investigation I noticed there was a slight bulge in the top of the bumper at this point and there was a similar piece of rubbed paintwork on the bottom edge of the tailgate. This was puzzling as there is absolutely no damage whatsoever anywhere else on the car. So I took it to my dealer as it is still under warranty and asked for his opinion about my theory that the damage had been caused by the tailgate being iced up and when opened electronically the strain of trying to open when stuck with ice had pulled up that section of the top of the bumper. I am afraid I was just told that that could not happen and that I had somehow caused it myself and should take it to a bodyshop because it certainly was not going to be put right by them under warranty. I have no other explanation and am just curious to know whether anyone has ever come across this sort of ice damage before and if so what their dealer said/did about it so that I can perhaps have another attempt at getting them to put it right before the guarantee runs out in March. Thanks for reading. Jill Davis
Jill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote