View Single Post
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 19:20   #1
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Default Rumble between 48mph and 55mph...driveshaft support bearing?

Hi all,
My new (to me) Torslanda is a peach to drive. Absolutely lovely car. However the one thing I need to sort is a low, resonant rumble between 48mph and 55mph. It continues whether I'm on throttle or off, and dipping the clutch makes no difference either. It smooths out above 55mph and isn't noticeable below 48mph.

I also have a slight judder when pulling away in first if I'm too frisky on the throttle. It doesn't seem to be clutch related as when I deliberately slip the clutch in other gears, there is no judder and engagement is smooth.

All of this points to a worn driveshaft centre support bearing in my opinion...when I grab the driveshaft and give it a tug, it has perhaps 2/3rds of an inch of lateral play. I'm planning to take it into my local garage to have them change the bearing assembly and lubricate the UJs, but was wondering if anybody thinks I may be barking up the wrong tree before I commit to having the work done...I'm new to 240s as I've run 700/900 series cars until now, so have a bit to learn!

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Phil
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote