View Single Post
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 13:51   #8
jamei305

Quote:
Originally Posted by 844PHW View Post
Yes -
• RON 95 can be used for normal driving.
• RON 98 is recommended for optimum performance
and minimum fuel consumption

While it says that regular can be used, it is quite definite that premium is recommended for stated reasons. Whether that means the car "needs" premium is an interesting discussion point.

I do wonder why "optimum performance" and "minimum fuel consumption" are considered not normal driving. I guess we really need quantitative comparisons including on the well-being of the engine.
There is no question that higher octane fuel will result in improved mpg and performance. What matters to most people though is not mpg but £/mile. So the question most people want to know the answer to is whether the improved mpg is worth paying the extra for. I suspect not.

Note that Volvo here are referring only to octane rating. They make no mention of premium fuels in terms of additives such as the improved cleaning power and friction reduction that e.g. Shell V-Power claims to have. This is something separate, although the two are often conflated as fuel companies have decided to put their premium marketed additives only in the high RON fuels due to the limited number of tanks and pumps in petrol stations.
jamei305 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamei305 For This Useful Post: