View Single Post
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 19:00   #1
Dirty Diesel

Question 2004 V40 1.9D Gradual loss of power & smoking

Good evening

I haven't posted here in a while, but as my V40 has decided to through out another problem, my return is eminent.

The matter at hand, is this: my V40 has slowly been losing power, not gutless, but noticeable, and is smoking what seems to be black smoke, with possibly a hint of blue from what I can tell.

Over the course of my ownership, I have replaced/repaired the following:

Cleaned EGR valve

Replaced MAF sensor

Replaced N75 Valve (Vacuum Control Solenoid)

Replaced Turbocharger

I've checked over the vacuum system, and all seems to be in order. Along with losing power, it doesn't seem to idle right either, it jumps around, usually dropping by up to 50RPM, it doesn't sound much, but I know somethings wrong, as it always idles spot on.

I've spoken with the user named Gatos about the matter, and all we could come up with was the injectors. Two of the injectors do seem to "click" more than the other two, when holding a screwdriver to either the top, or the metal base of, the injector, then listening to them through the screwdriver.

I must also mention that I do not have ready access to a diagnostic machine, but have used one recently, and no engine related codes were available, indicating nothing completely gone yet, or any electrical problems. Engine Management Light is also NOT present.

Could anyone shed any light on the matter? It's getting rather annoying, and I'm starting the wonder whether it'll pass it's MOT tomorrow.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks I'm advance

Last edited by Dirty Diesel; Apr 14th, 2019 at 19:38.
Dirty Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote