Thread: Overdrive relay
View Single Post
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 19:43   #9
Whitey889J

Thank you for all your replies! I have been busy since my last post on this subject. Overdrive wasn't fitted from new as far as I can tell although as I said previously I was surprised to find two small holes on the bulkhead to the right of the headlamp relay when I wiped it with a cloth. I have fitted the overdrive relay using these holes and will take a photo and post it as soon as I can.

My 'kit' of parts came from a donor 144 many years ago and was going to be fitted to my first 142. I was lucky to get everything required although the switch on the steering column is broken. Having fitted the relay I was about to snip the wire from the redundant connector when it occurred to me that it might not be so easy to attach it to the instrument panel if I did that. I decided to investigate how the connectors were retained in the white 'holder'. I had a 'scrap' connector with some wires still in it and so I carefully ground the plastic away until I was able to remove one of the connectors. I have attached a few photos of what I found and also of the tool I made from a 3mm roll pin that now allows me to remove these wires as required. I'm not a photographer as you can tell but hopefully you will get the general idea.

Having sorted the electrics out I was able to take the car for a run and try out the overdrive for the first time. It works but the gearbox is very noisy and so I will have to take it back out and put in the decent gearbox that I bought from Gmac the other week. If at first you don't succeed.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200617_2020162.jpg (46.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20200617_2017202.jpg (28.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20200613_1051172.jpg (38.5 KB, 5 views)
Whitey889J is offline   Reply With Quote