Thread: Any Advice?
View Single Post
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 11:59   #246
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Thanks Dave - from what I've seen of the outriggers the metal needs cutting out and replacing - tbh I'm surprised the MoT didn't have more of an issue with it, but then I don't know what I'm talking about! It cropped up in advisories several years in a row, which isn't good, but presumably wasn't progressing a lot?
And definitely, we'll strip out the carpets and things before getting the job done, as you say.
As for the suspension points, I couldn't even find them as I crawled around underneath, so no idea as to their condition tbh. What I saw looked solid but I was probably looking at the wrong things!
If you have a look at this diagram Chris, you can see the springs either side and this is roughly what you'll see if you look from underneath just behind the rear axle.

Using the springs as a reference point, follow them down to the trailing arms - the long arms that go front-back and the axle and springs sit on.

Follow these arms forward and you will find they attach to the underside of the car near the sills but actually on the floorpan. Normally this area is strengthened so should be fairly obvious.

Maybe when you actually have it sat on the driveway you can reverse it onto a pair of ramps and see it better.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote