View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2022, 13:48   #4
bells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Bells;

"testing the voltage from the -ve of the coil to earth with the points closed and ignition on. Result - battery voltage." ...that sounds like the crux of the issue: Reminder...when points are closed, they are (or should be!) closed to chassis, enabling Ign Coil primary current to flow...if you are measuring Batt V on Ign Coil Neg (Points node) with points "closed"...they are not electrically closed, and that is not right! I'd concentrate further troubleshooting in this area...it may be as simple as something has come loose where the wire connects to the Points...

See also: http://www.sw-em.com/Volvo%20Ignitio...ition%20System ...yes, it is written based on the armored Ign Sys of models other than your ES, but that involves the Ign Coil +, not the Ign Coil - (Points node) where you should be concentrating efforts.

Good Hunting!
Thanks Ron, I agree with you as to where the issue looks like it lies and I'll take a look at that doc after work.
Note also if I test -ve coil to earth with the points open - then it shows battery voltage AND all points on the Points (coil side) also show battery voltage - so there is some connection between coil and points. Also if I turn over the starter with the dist cap off I can see a spark when the points open and close - so something is getting to the points, even though I'm measuring infinite resistance between the two with the resitance meter..... makes no sense.... agghhh. More investigation needed.
bells is offline   Reply With Quote