View Single Post
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 19:07   #22
AlanR

Just done mine - 54plate V70.

Existing pins pushed out ok with a small nail (end ground flat) whose diameter matched (or was slightly less than) the diameter of the pins on the new piece.

Removing the flap from the old hinge was more of a challenge. Eventually I cut away the plastic on the hinge that was preventing the bar from being released (the old hinge was sacrificial anyway) this released the bar and the flap was completely undamaged.

Holding the hinge plate tightly against the bodywork and ensuring all four clips have passed into their respective holes in the side of the vehicle, the two outer pins can carefully be tapped in flush using a small hammer.

The inner two pins were more difficult, sheltered by adjacent mouldings. So I got a 6" nail, ground the end perfectly flat. Have to hold it carefully and perpendicular to the hinge (axially in line with the pin you're going to hit) then gently tap it home. The 6" nail diameter (being larger) will automatically ensure the pin is not driven through the face of the hinge, so it can be tapped until the pin is flush with the surface.

Finally very gently depress the wire spring and let it into its two slot on the hinge plate. I advise caution here, for any sudden snap if you let go of the wire could well set you right back to square one!!! But then it will be even easier second time around - albeit another £10 out of pocket.
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote