View Single Post
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 05:23   #39
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazaa View Post
do you know where to get info what modifications need to be done?
There's loads of information about this on the interweb - have a search about.

I looked into it doing this conversion for my PV and even bought the gearbox and overdrive but decided in the end it wasn't worth the hassle. I figured the following parts needed some fiddling

1) The transmission tunnel needed to be widened - I've read that some use a tunnel from a 240
2) The transmission / gearbox mounts needed to be repositioned / adapted (which I guess is why some people use the 240 section)
3) The propshaft needs to be shortened
4) Propshaft flanges need to be matched
5) Bell housing needs to be cut and "twisted" to make the gearbox fit upright to the upright engine (most people recommend you use up two bell housings one from the 240 the other from a PV / Amazon etc)
6) Wiring for the overdrive to make sure it only engages in 4th gear (apparently either gearbox or overdrive dies in lower gears - not the strongest combination)
7) Differential final drive ratio ideally needs to be lowered from the standard 4:10 in a PV - the overdrive is one heck of a step for the engine otherwise
8) I really wanted to retain the weird / charming forward gear lever position in my PV and was figuring out how to convert the shifting mechanism - but that too would have probably added years to my "quick" PV project - I need to get the project done and crack on with my more important Land Rover series 2a
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote