View Single Post
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 11:11   #24
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balistaff View Post
Related question. I get that it may come down to personal choice and pocket depth, but the Main Volvo Dealer is quoting IRO £117 for a set of front XC90 pads.

Euro Car Part offers a set of Brembo pads for £70 with another two choices (Pagid & Eicher) for an additional three and six pounds. I've previously used Brembo Pads on a (now dead) Alfa 159 Ti (with Brembo calipers) as well as my previous Volvo V70.

I also get that there is a question of "Should you Skimp on Safety", but aftermarket parts are IMHO a viable option.

I remember having problems with non-Volvo brake shoes on my previous V70, for it's parking brake (e-brake), and then reverting to Volvo parts to solve. But this may have just been curvature issues rather than material composition.

Thoughts from the community?
It depends. Some aftermarket parts are decent, some are junk.

Brembo for example are decent. I've used them multiple times with no issues.

Pagid are junk... the discs warped within 3 months on my car. I will never use them again for discs or pads.

Eicher - I wouldn't use them either. The material that they're made with is too hard and it makes the brakes noisy.

I still think the best ones are genuine. If there's a huge difference in price, then I go aftermarket and get something like Brembo. If there's not much in it, then I go with genuine.