View Single Post
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 06:35   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
'Suck fuel through to carburetors'. What does that mean - detach the hose and put your lips on it and suck? If so, your fuel pump needs repair or replacement. There are check valves in the pump that should prevent drainback when shut down. Also, normally on shutdown there would be fuel left in the float bowls that would quick facilitate restart. Are your float bowls empty after the car has been sitting for 'a few days'? If so, you need to find out where the fuel is going because the leak may be compounding your starting problem.
Thanks for saving me typing that out - i pointed the short version out in my post above with a whole host of other possible faults and suggestions where to start.

However, casting my mind back to when i had cars with dodgy fuel gauges, weak batteries and i ran out of petrol all too often, i know if the fuel pump is ok it's pretty hard to suck the fuel through the pump, through the pipe and from the tank.

Some of the other things need checking (ignition related) before he even gets to checking the pump and/or air leaks on the inlet side of the pump.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: