View Single Post
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 10:22   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul staines View Post
Just checked new fuel pump fitted. Bought from Amazon cars. Not the glass bowl type.
Couple of questions then - how long ago, has it been stood since and have you checked the fuel line from tank to pump?

It doesn't take much of an air leak in that pipe/line to cause exactly the problem you've got and it will probably get worse to the point of leaving you stranded! I speak from experience with a 144 DL auto some 35 years ago, it began to be a pain to start when cold, then also when hot, power was down and the economy wasn't what it should be.

Then i found the fuel hose perished, can't quite remember where but it was between the tank and the pump. Renewed the section of hose, turned the engine over in a few shorts bursts (about 3-4, can't quite remember but didn't take much) and it once more fired up.

Fuel economy, instant starting, power and smoothness all restored.

Also worth checking your fuel delivery, if it's insufficient you can increase it by selectively removing the gaskets between the pump and the block. Don't discount a part simply because it's new either, on another occasion with that 144, the points burned out, leaving me stranded. I hitched into the nearest town, bought new points and condenser and fitted them. Started up and was fine until i got about 1.5 miles further down the road. All looked good when i checked the points as my first thought was i hadn't done the screw up tightly enough and they'd closed up.
Second thought, on a hunch was to refit the original condenser - fired up straight away!

Took the new condenser back to the shop and it was replaced so fitted the second new one in the space of an hour. All good after that and eventually i upgraded to a Sparkrite SX2000 contact-triggered electronic ignition and no more problems.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: