Thread: 240 vs 740
View Single Post
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 13:13   #2
57RKL

Hi, Swapping my 240 Torslanda for a 740 Turbo Estate was my biggest Volvo regret. I bought the 740 unseen after a long conversation with the owner. It was fast, handled pretty well.... was rust free..... cant think any other positives over the 240.

Negatives, Engine leaked oil over my drive, 20mpg, factory sunroof leaked, and worst of all the interior. All the plastics are crap, no make that CRAP !!!. Rattles, squeaks, cracked dash, broken door plastics, headlining hanging down, etc etc.

My 240 Torslanda was slow ! I also tow a caravan, soI made a big mistake, seduced by the promise of a 182bhp 740 Turbo Intercooler. My Torslanda was an outstanding car. Interior was mint and made to a completely different standard to 740s. It had only done 111,000 miles. Was quiet a mouse inside and out. No sunroof or bust electric mirrors etc. Did 32- 35 mpg, my wife loved it,... What a mug I was selling it. Still regret it now, even though I own a beautiful 940 Estate with minimal electric stuff.

In my opinion, The 940 is the finished article as the late 80s till 93 240s are. 940 interiors are rock solid except peeling door plastics. There will be some good looked after 740 estates out there. But go and see it and try before you buy.

If I could turn back the clock I would swap in a 2.3lpt into the 240 torslanda. Failing that, find that elusive mint low mileage 240 GLT estate I can afford.
57RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 57RKL For This Useful Post: