Thread: V50 Engine 2.0D : - DPF - Confusion !
View Single Post
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 22:01   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowsmith5623 View Post
Hi,

Can someone help ?

I have a Volvo V50 2.0D SE 57 plate. Does this have a DPF (I assume it does) and if so what type ?

I have read many posts on many sites that the DPF should be changed at around 75,000 - I have also read many posts saying as long as regeneration occurs frequently (as not to get blocked) it will only need changing as and if it starts to block.

I have spoken to my local BOSCH garage who stated that they don't believe it needs replacing unless it starts to block and that they generally just clean them out, regenerate etc and that's fine.

Surely if it is regenerated regularly and an additive is used which aids regeneration, why replace it if it's working fine, not blocked etc ?

Thanks
You have a DPF if the 8th character if your VIN is 5..

cleaning doesnt work , volvo have done their research and testing and have come up with 75000 miles as the efficient lifespan , after that the chemicals in the DPF degrade , fuel consumption rises , and regeneration takes place more often . Breakdows occur around 90000 on a neglected car and obviously are going to cost a lot more than a £280 DPF .