View Single Post
Old Nov 25th, 2011, 15:27   #1
zagatoman

Default 240 bonnet hinge adjustment, easy peasy

Hi all,

Decided to sort out my bonnet hinges on my 240 today as I have the problem of the bonnet sticking up at the back. Many people have had this problem with lots of different solutions that sometimes work and sometimes not.

I took a long hard look at the offending hinges and couldn't find any twisting or damage, all looked fine to me. I thought that if I could give the hinges a bit more extra adjustment it could all be sorted. I took them out one at a time and set about cutting and drilling and put back. They both worked a treat and the bonnet now fits flush and I can now even make the bonnet lower as I have now tons more adjustment. I could lower them down another 10mm if needed in the future.

The cutting and drilling only took me 10 minutes for each hinge, the complete job only took me an hour.

I have included A, B and C images to show the places metal will have to be removed to give you the extra adjustment. You might have to bend the bodywork just under the hinged adjustment bar so as it can get lower down because of the lower position of the slot the adjustment nut sits into. A couple of hard banks with a lump of wood and a hammer sorts of out no problem.

I might have made the description on how to do it a bit complicated but is in fact very simple to do.

You will have to take the spring off and on again but this is not a problem to do, just be careful.

Good Luck

Paul

Edit: Link to original thread

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Nov 27th, 2011 at 22:30.
The Following User Says Thank You to zagatoman For This Useful Post: