Thread: Airbox lid
View Single Post
Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 23:40   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940volvoman View Post
Swanny UK, thats just showing off!!!

Seriously,though I guess at speed the air was rammed into the airbox by extending a tube to the front grill it could escape via the edges of the 'box?
I think it was David Vizard (the Mini Tuning Wizard - before he moved to Californ-i-a and became David Vi-zard) way back in the 60s or 70s that either calculated, tested or both that to get a bost of about 1psi from ram air induction from the grille, you'd have to be traveling at something like 170mph and the implication was the drag created by the air scoop for the ram air would create more drag than the power improvement would overcome.
Long time ago since i read one of his books where that's mentioned so might have the figures somewhat askew but close enough for the purposes of the conversation.

With that in mind, what Rob says below would still hold true :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post
I would not be overly concerned about the airbox lid not being fully clamped. As long as it is properly located in position the vacuum created by the air being sucked in by the engine will pull it on quite tightly.

I am just guessing the airbox lid dimensions, but if it is something like 15 x 27 cm, a vacuum of just 0.1 bar would pull the lid in its slot with 40 kg force!
Something in the back of my mind says the filters are 183 x 283mm (there are two sizes, one is bigger than the other and i can't remember the other size) so i would guess the force would be even bigger.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: