Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 13:53   #1603
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I agree with all that Dave, although I don't reverse the Porsche into the garage because it is quite a bit wider at the back than at the front, so it is handy to have the rear wheel arches where I can see them in the mirrors.

I'm tired of fixing this particular Z4 - it is nearly always the same thing (flat battery), and my mate just doesn't listen to any advice (he is in his mid 70s and a bit stuck in his ways). I've just finished taking Bob for his second walk (I've rigged up a fan in the kitchen for him so he can cool down, it is a scorcher today), so I'll head over to MH with the battery I've borrowed from the RB as a back up plan. This will be the very last time I fix this Z4 though!

I struggle to understand the allure of BMW cars, but they somehow justify a high price and are popular.

Alan
You need a Porsche-shaped garage Alan! Or maybe just an extra wide one.

Good luck with that Z4, sounds like you're going to need it!

Back in the 1970s, just after the triumph Dolomite was launched, there was a band of people looking for a car and the two choices were a Dolomite or a "Neue Klasse" BMW 1602/2002 - sadly strikes hit BL at that time and the Dolomite became available in fits and starts, sometimes with dubious build quality as a result of the workers apathy due to low wages etc. If the 16/2002 hadn't been a success, BMW would have gone under. The Dolomite was cheaper and just as good (when it was built right) but lack of availability meant fewer were sold so buyers went to BMW and many stuck with it. You can guess the rest!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote