Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 15:44   #1607
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Or is it simply because it is German? Anecdotally, German engineering has long been regarded by many as 'better'. This applies, not just to BMW, but to Audi, Mercedes and, yes, Porsche.

This may well have been so once, but others have closed the gap to the point where there are no really 'bad' cars anymore. Your example of the Dolomite just wouldn't happen today, 'L.S.', or if it did it just wouldn't sell. This may have led to BMW et. al. trading upon their reputation and past glories, but arguably no more so than Volvo on theirs for safety.

It does not apply only to cars, either. I seem to recall you challenging me recently when I mentioned Bosch in another context, 'L.S.'. Past glories? Rolls-Royce once even traded on 'The Magic of a Name'; now the cars are no more than, in effect, posh BMWs! Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose!

Having said all of that, I regarded my NSU Quickly moped as better built than certain British offerings, and my NSU Prima 5 Star scooter better engineered than the equivalent Lambrettas, so perhaps there was something in it, after all?!

Regards, John.
Alan has presented 99% of what i was going to argue in favour of the Dolomite John but you make a bigger point - all our cars are now made by foreign countries. With the exception of small-volume manufacturers such as TVR, all mass produced cars are nw from different countries.

I don't recall the challenge about Bosch but if it was something long the lines of they've lost their way on quality and are trading purely on their previous good name, i definitely stand by it but i have to agree, almost every manufacturer is still doing exactly the same. I'm not sure that there aren't any really bad cars any more, i still think there are - the situation as i see it is there are no really good cars now so there's nothing to compare the bad ones to, they are all mediocre with little or no character.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: