Thread: Body/Trim: 850: - Plastic Bumper Tops - Renovate UV Fading
View Single Post
Old Oct 30th, 2018, 09:18   #12
riffbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Just to avoid any confusion: the plastic does not need to be rubbed down before applying the C4. I only mentioned that just in case the plastic has faded to almost white and the surface looks dead. Rubbing down with 1200 will remove all the old dead plastic and restore the surface and colour - it is similar to exfoliating. It is very, very easy to do if the condition warrants it and will transform the finished result.

The attachment shows some of my V40 trim that was treated in that manner. When I bought the car it had stood outside all its life and the bumper trim was white - the original colour is black. The photo was taken three years ago and the trim looks just the same today.
Thank you for the expanded explanation, ITSv40. The photo certainly looks fabulous. I'll see if Isopropanol removes my old dye back to the plastic. If if does I can use Gtechniq C4, if it does not I'll use the Wurth. I assume the C4 will not be able to perform its molecular bonding 'magic' if not in direct contact with clean plastic.

I have just had a partial respray so do not want to use anything to strip the old dye that could run down (and it will) and damage the new paint and lacquer, so cellulose thinners and acetone are out!!!

Thanks again and best regards! RB
riffbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to riffbiker For This Useful Post: