View Single Post
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 21:27   #7
surfslammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbamber View Post
My similar problem showed up yesterday too... But unlike the OP I have only seen the message twice in 6 months. It certainly doesn't keep showing every day, and seems to clear itself. This thread now has 3 users with a 2014 car!! Mmmm.

MY2015 D4 V60 owned since new in Dec 2014, averaging 700 miles/month. Twice in six months the warning ‘Alarm system service required’ has displayed on starting the car for the first time in 3-4 days, but did not reappear at the next engine start an hour later after a 30-mile drive.

Knowing from this Forum that the electrics on these VEA models can throw up strange warnings if the charge on the main battery is even a little low, I replaced the 8-year-old original main battery with a decent Varta one 15 months ago as preventive action before the winter. I have usually charged the battery overnight every 3-4 weeks in the winter, not least as I normally have the heated seats and aircon on all the time in the colder months.

I am not concerned that the siren/alarm battery might be on its way out as I probably wouldn’t bother to get it or the siren unit replaced. The alternator voltage is fine, and no other warnings come up for any other glitches. Could it be a parasitic drain somewhere draining the main battery a little over a few days of not using the car, but just enough to trigger the warning? Or does the Panel have any other thoughts?
Hi scbamber. From reading around the intermittent message to start with is not uncommon. I also read in some posts that the faulty siren battery can be a cause of battery drain. I experienced that but not since the replacement siren with tested battery was fitted. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of my issue and shed some light on it whatever it is.
surfslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surfslammer For This Useful Post: