View Single Post
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 16:36   #6
MotorDiagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananarama View Post
Westway Lubricants have AW-1 and JWS 3324 but what's the difference? I'm wondering if they're the same. I've emailed them but wondering if you guys have come across this already?

Also, Volvo quoted me £7.20 for part #30713220; a small aluminium washer!

Based on my experience, I mistakenly used the wrong oil (JWS 3309) in my Volvo S60 2011. I purchased 12 liters from eBay based on the seller's suggestion, which turned out to be incorrect. After changing the oil three times, using 4 liters each time and it was partial change, I realized that only about 70% of the oil had been replaced. Subsequently, I noticed a significant increase in fuel consumption, rising by 20% from 40 mpg to 35 mpg.

Upon further investigation using VIDA, I discovered that my gearbox requires AW1 oil, previously known as JWS 3324. I obtained the correct oil from Westway Oils and performed a full flush. Here's the detailed process for a full oil replacement, i suggest you to buy 20 liters in advance :

1.Remove one of the hoses from the radiator which drives oil back to gearbox and connect a spare 2.transparent hose, which will lead to an empty bottle. This allows for clear visibility of any bubbles flowing out.
3.Remove the bottom bolt from the gearbox to drain all the oil.
4.Replace the Oring on the bolt and put the bolt back, then add 4 liters of new oil ( can be added 5 liters) .
5.Start the engine and observe oil coming out from the hose.
6.Shift gears every 2 seconds (parking, drive, reverse) until bubbles appear.
7.Turn off the engine, add 2 liters more ( can be added 3 liters for better oil flush), then repeat the procedure only in parking mode.
8.repeat the procedure with another 2 liters in parking mode again.
9.Finally, add another 4 liters of oil.
10.Start the engine and and shift the gears periodically, wait until the oil reaches 55 degrees Celsius in Vida Dice and adjust the oil level accordingly.
11.Reset the oil counter in Vida Dice.

It's crucial to note that a full oil change must be performed if JWS 3309 was mixed with AW1 (JWS 3324) because JWS 3309 is mineral and AW1 is synthetic. Following these steps, your car will operate smoothly. If you require more detailed instructions, I'm happy to provide them.

Last edited by MotorDiagnostic; Apr 17th, 2024 at 16:58.
MotorDiagnostic is offline   Reply With Quote