View Single Post
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 10:32   #72
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
Just in case I haven't explained very well

When you try and start, almost immediately you crank her over she fires up but then she immediately dies. Its all over in part of a second. Then you crank her over maybe up to 7 or 8 times over 2 or 3 minutes and then she'll start

Internet tells me mass airflow sensor or ignition coil for engine fires once, dies, then won't restart but the garage had a spark and fuel that day so that would eliminate the coil?
THat's what i'm thinking. If it was an older car i'd be looking at the ballast resistor with symptoms like that but of course the 7/9xx don't have them on the ignition. However that does point to another item they do have and that's the ignition switch (or starter switch as Volvo call them) and a good way to test this is to get a length of wire, connect one end to the +ve terminal on the coil and the other end to the +ve terminal on the battery, then try starting it. If it fires and runs no problem, it indicates a faulty ignition (starter) switch. However, given the inetrmittent nature of the problem, you'd have to do this test several times when it was playing up to be certain. Just for fun, Volvo fitted a variety of starter (ignition) switches to the 7/9xx range and not all of them will work so a secondhand one is going to be hard to find unless you get the part number off the back of the switch. First thing to do is to do the test, it may prove fruitless but it may also indicate the fault.

Sorry i took a while replying last night, had a migraine then went to bed early because of it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote