View Single Post
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 16:02   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ2001 View Post
Hi everybody

This is my first post on this forum, so let me first thank all for your very informative contributions.
We have a 64 plate V60 D4 with almost 130k on the clock of which 90% are motorway miles. Regularly changing oil + filters (every 10k), cam belt (water pump and tensioner @108k), breaks, tires etc.
After the last oil + filter change we noticed an increased oil consumption. In just 3000 miles we had to top up a litre of oil. No leaks from the filter housing or around sump nut. Normally (from previous experience) 1l should have been enough for about 15k miles. We are using Comma Eco-V 0w20 (Volvo approved). The only thing I noticed was the car very gently jumped/jerked once or twice when cold.
We took it to Volvo for a health check (and a software update) and they discovered oil leak at cam end cap (requires resealing) and (more worrying!) at valve rocker cover (according to Volvo the cover needs replacing). We are still waiting for the quote (and a heart attack ) .
My questions:
1.) The cam end cap and seal is a relatively straight forward fix. Parts cost about £15, fiddly but doable.
2.) The valve rocker cover however; according to my understanding this is a black plastic cover with a gasket that covers the valves at the top of the engine. Here is my first question;
a.) does it make sense to you, that such vital part needs replacing so soon? I would expect a new gasket should sort the problem?
b.) I have read somewhere on this portal that when multiple gaskets blow, this usually indicates increased pressure in the engine, which usually means the PCV and/or breather pipe is/are blocked. Volvo never mentioned that.
c.) Could "jumping" when cold be somehow connected to PCV rather then oil leak?
I will appreciate any of your experiences or guidance how to resolve this.
Regards
I would certainly check how much crankcase pressure there is by doing the famous test talked about on here ... stretching a rubber glove over the oil filler opening when the the engine is hot and idling . If the glove inflates the pressure is too high . the breather is in the plastic cam cover so maybe they know what they are talking about , you might not even need the seals changing once the pressure has gone.