View Single Post
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 13:14   #7
oliverpervasive

Default OBD11 scanner of ebay

I ordered one of these blu tooth OBD11 scanners as per the the ebay link above.

I then looked at the various pieces of software out there - was a bit wary of torque lite as there were a lot of comments how it asks for access to your contacts etc

There are quite a few to choose from - the free ones obvoulsy have in built adverts etc.
I settled on car scanner from the google play store- however being a bit cautious I only downloaded it on a spare phone we have which does not have all my contacts on. I really would advise everyone to be a a bit cautious with these bits of software as they can empty you phone of all sorts of info.

Anyhow - stuck the tacky light weight reader into car - turned on software - you have to pair them first - the scanner did not say what its pin code was - but 1234 or 000 worked. Phone OBD reader software picked up the card and I tried reading the codes. It said there were none. Which was great - or it was nt working. However it did pick up voltage to the OD reader so it was communicating real time with car as this fluctuated. So it appears to work. I think I need to play with the software more to see if it can read anything else . I know from the age of this car that the OBD11/ecu is limited so don't expect all the bells and whistles you get from a modern car.
I plugged it into the Miisus' car - ~Nissan Quash 1.5 diesel - and it picked up a faulty glow plug error code.

On the face of it this seems a great and cheap alternative to having to faff around with an XP laptop and cable and expensive software - although the readings/software were much more intuitive.

To confirm I have an x reg s40 1.6 auto petrol.
oliverpervasive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oliverpervasive For This Useful Post: