View Single Post
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 19:38   #8
Buryan

Steve - mine's an auto - thanks.

There is one major problem to all this helpful advice - when I have yanked the old one off, I can't drive the car anymore to go to the local bike shop to have a new one made - - !!! With a buggered Freelander, it is the only car I have at the moment - except for a 940 on blocks for brakes and a Riley 2 1/2 only half re-built! I have already been onto a bespoke cable manufacturer who says the problem is that car makers have made Bowden cables deliberately difficult with plastic mouldings etc., in order that the part can only be replaced via Volvo spares (which indeed I tried, first!). I should be grateful if anyone has a second-hand one exactly for the purpose of seeing if this gentleman can make replacements. Here is his reply and address:

Kevin Whincup <kevin@cable-tec.co.uk>
Wed, 24 Jul, 10:06 (2 days ago)
to me

Thanks Kenneth,

I hate to turn away work, but car throttle cables of the last 15-20 years are laced with plastic parts and special trick cast parts.

It’s an OEM trick to ensure you have to buy genuine, and of course to ensure that the cable /spare is hard to copy and tooling expensive to reproduce.

Good luck finding a spare, and I will be happy to look at this once you do.

All the best

Kevin

Best regards

Kevin Whincup
General Manager
cid:875545707@28052009-00f1

Last edited by Buryan; Jul 26th, 2019 at 19:41.
Buryan is offline   Reply With Quote