View Single Post
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 19:52   #42
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmarel View Post
An easy and safe method to remove this type of windshield is to cut at least 60 3x4 pieces of thin steel plate, like 1 mm, and wedge these between the metal and the rubber from the inside, all the way around (won't work at the big wide bottom edge, leave that).
Starting from the top corners, push the glass out with your feet. The glass will slide out with no effort at all.
The big vacuum handles that glass fitters use are nice to have.
You know Marc, looking back over the thread and scoping the snaps that arcturus has posted makes me wonder; the trim fitted to both front AND rear looks just like the front trim on my '71 144; however MY car definitely had rubber windscreen seal for the rear (bonded for the front), and the reason I remember it was that the stainless steel trim (on the rear) was separate from the rubber - on the bonded screens the s/s trim and rubber were all in one.

Now if this is the case then the trim is fastened down onto the clips which are embedded in the goop used to bond the screen in place and is, in fact, cosmetic, the weather sealing of the screen being handled by the aforementioned goop; what's your opinion?

Hth, C.A.