Thread: Engine: 70: - ETM failure ?
View Single Post
Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 13:59   #1
coughlanc

Smile ETM failure ?

Good afternoon all.
My in-laws MY2001 V70 2.4 NA threw up a MIL a couple of days back accompanied with intermittent "surges" of power. Urgent engine service appeared on the DIM and the car appears to have gone into limp mode. Recycling the ignition extinguished DIM warning and power returned for a short while before starting to play up again.
I connected up VIDA and read the codes from it.
They are as follows;
ECM-903F THROTTLE POSITION (TP)-SIGNAL MISSING
ECM-914F THROTTLE POSTION (TP)-SENSOR 1 AND 2 - FAULTY SIGNAL
ECM- 91A7 THROTTLE POSITION (TP)- FAULTY CONTORL
ECM-91F0 THROTTLE POSTION (TP)- FAULTY CURRENT
ECM-980F- AIR FLOW-FAULTY FLOW

I reset the codes and asked my father to drive it. He used it the following day on local b roads with no issues, however whilst putting it on a dual carriage way yesterday, the same symptoms reappeared. I've not yet plugged back into it to verify if the same codes have been generated. (I'll do this, this evening). If the codes are the same as before I'm assuming that the ETM is going to be the most likely culprit here. Is the MAF fault a consequence of the ETM issue ?
Whilst visually inspecting under the bonnet on the first instance, I did remove the air filter housing to ETM pipe. The ETM was spotless inside. I've checked for the sticker under the ETM and can confirm it is White.

As it stands, I'm going to re-read codes this afternoon. I've read that VIDA can carry out a sweep test on the ETM but that there is no pass/fail result. Is this correct ?
Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Error codes.jpg (194.4 KB, 17 views)

coughlanc is offline   Reply With Quote